Using the AD600TTL for fill on a sunny day

While waiting for an X1Ts to arrive to use as a controller and trigger for the AD600TTL I thought it would be useful to do a test to see what kind of power resource is available for fill-in on a sunny day when subject is in the shade and backlit.

I took Manny into the side yard looking for some shaded trees for him to stand in front of with his head in the sun.

I set the camera manually to underexpose 2 EV from the meter with the metering area set to spot. I took the meter reading with Manny’s nose in the middle of the metering area. So, the camera was going to under expose 2EV from a “northern european skin tone”. The result was an image that looks under exposed even though the AD600 was set to TTL and 0FEC. Camera setting were; 1/2000, F2.8, ISO 100 using a Sony 24-70mm GM lens at 70mm.

Here is the same image, with processing similar to what I commonly do with environmental portraits. Exposure +1EV, Highlights -25, Shadows +50. I routinely apply a Kodachrome color preset which emulates the color response of Kodachrome 25 film. It also reduces Vibrance -5. Finally, the Lightroom Medium Contrast tone curve is applied.

Here is an image shot with the AD600TTL in manual mode. The power is set to 1/4. Putting the curser on Manny’s right cheek got the same reading for this unprocessed image as the reading at the same point for the unprocessed image shot with TTL.

I stepped off the distance between the light stand and Manny. It was 4 paces or about 12 feet. With the DIY modifier I have on the light that distance will work for anything, including full length.

I have a sock on the modifier which does soften the shadow edges just a bit. It also absorbs about 1 EV based on some other tests I’ve done.

I originally made the modifier to use with my AD360 bare bulb flash units. I taped an AD360 modifier adapter to the opening where the industrial light attaches to the reflector. I thought it might work with the AD600 so I taped a Bowens S mount adapter to it.  As the picture on the right shows, the flash tube is a way back from the ideal position. I like to get the flash tube inside the modifier. I think it fills the modifier better. Nothing scientific to prove that, just my gut.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More to come.